Update on Scrutiny Panel - 19th March
Due to the ongoing situation regarding COVID-19 (coronavirus), the Scrutiny Panel scheduled for Thursday 19th March will be taking place online, as a closed discussion, in interest of safety of our students and staff. We understand this might cause some disappointment to any students who had hoped to attend, and encourage you to keep an eye on our social media and this page for future updates on Scrutiny Panels later in the year.
For more information on how the Students' Union and University of Nottingham are handling the COVID-19 outbreak, please have a look at our news article regarding the outbreak.
What is the purpose of the Scrutiny Panel?
Student Scrutineers hold all full-time Officers to account on their remit, manifesto, and policy.
They meet roughly four times a year, assisted by two sabbatical or full-time Officers from another Students' Union to support them in understanding the expectations of Officer's work over a year, and help the scrutineers understand where Officers could be working harder.
The scrutineers receive reports written by the Officers in advance of the meetings. From this report the scrutineers create questions to ask the Officer to hold them to account for their work. At the end of the meeting the scrutineers then rate the Officer's performance and these are published for all students to see on the UoNSU website.
Student Scrutineers 2019/20
- Amelia Hacon
- Ryan Williams
- Vinnie Fraser
- Ifigenia Constantinou
- Becky Bull
Scrutiny Panel Meetings 2019/20
Meetings are held periodically throughout the year (all dates to be confirmed):
- Thursday 24th October 2019 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm - D04 Teaching & Learning Building, University Park.
- Tuesday 10th December 2019 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm - D37 Portland Building, University Park.
- Thursday 5th March 2020 - Extraordinary Scrutiny Panel - 5:30pm - 7:30pm - A4 Law & Social Sciences Building, University Park.
- Thursday 19th March 2020 - Meeting cancelled. Officers will now submit written answers to the panel's questions.
- Tuesday 9th June 2020 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm - C15 Teaching & Learning Builiding, University Park.
Who can attend Scrutiny Panel?
All students can attend Officer Scrutiny Meetings and ask the Officers questions after the scrutineers have finished their questions for each Officer, and will be invited to do so by the facilitator of the meeting.
Students may ask questions which cover anything appropriate to:
- Remit - E.g. the role of an Officer, for instance Welfare Officer would be asked about Welfare related activities on campus.
- Manifesto - E.g. asking an Officer for an update on a particular manifesto promise and progress made towards it.
- Policy - E.g. asking an Officer for an update on work done towards a particular Student Union policy.
Testimonies from Scrutiny Panel Members
Being involved in the Scrutiny Panel is an all-round great experience. You get to work with people you might not usually meet, and get to discuss with the officers the work they’re doing. This opportunity really helps to develop your communication skills, knowledge of the roles of the officers, the goings on in the SU, and about the university. Thomas Townsend, Year 2, Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine
I have transitioned from knowing next to nothing about what the SU Officers actually do and how the SU operated to being quite clued up on what's happening. It is reassuring to hear first hand from the Officers about all of the good work they are doing to make the University a better place for students. I have also improved my analytical skills and my ability to come to a joint decision as part of a team. Paul Goddard, Year 3, Mathematics
I believe that the scrutiny panel is very important to the SU because the officers feel that they have more pressure to accomplish their goals and their objectives, as we are constantly asking them for the progress of their objectives and we demand to see results. Evangelia Aphami, Year 2, Economics