Changing Course

If you are think you have chosen the wrong taught course, you may be able to change to another course within the University, or at a different higher education institution. Changing course is a big decision, so make sure you take the time to talk about it and find out what your options are. 

  • You may want to speak to someone in your School in the first instance, ideally your Personal Tutor, about the possibility of transferring your studies.  They should advise on the possibilities open to you, as well as any potential implications.  They should also be able to advise with regard to appropriate timing and time limits of interruptions, as outlined in the University Quality Manual information.
  • University Student Services also have some information on transferring, withdrawing or interrupting your studies. This includes implications on the following: financial, access to facilities, accommodation, Tier 4 student visas, eligibility for awards based on study taken prior to withdrawal.
  • You will also need to have a look to see what other courses at the University interest you. Make sure you understand the course content and what will be required of you. 
  • You should speak to the Admissions Tutor in the School/Department that offers the course you would like to transfer to. To find out who you need to speak to, contact the home Student Service Centre for the course you are interested in. The Admissions Tutor should be able to provide you with information on the course to help you make an informed decision. They will also inform you of any conditions you need to fulfil in order to take the course i.e. starting the course from first year, whether you have the entry requirements for the course etc. Also, bear in mind there may not be any places available on the new course.  There is no requirement for the University to agree to a request for a course change, and Schools/Departments are free to turn down such requests.
  • Speak to the University Careers and Employability Service. They can help you decide whether transferring will be the best for you in terms of your future career options.
  • If Student Finance pays your tuition fees, you will need to speak to them for advice before transferring to confirm that your funding will continue after you change your course. You can contact the University's Student Funding and Financial Support Team.
  • If you are an international student you should also speak to the Immigration and Visa Support Team for advice on any changes a course transfer may have on your visa.
  • You can also come and speak to us in Students' Union Advice who can talk through the process of transferring courses with you. We can also talk to you about any implications regarding funding and fees, or accommodation.


Tel: (0115) 846 8730

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get in touch with us if you think there is something missing, or if you have a question you can't find the answer to.