We are the University of Nottingham Chess Society! We are a mixed ability and mixed gender society and we warmly welcome anyone who is keenly interested in playing chess. Whether you are first time ever playing chess or an experienced player, you are all invited to play chess together, discuss strategies and tactics and finally, socialize with our members.
President- Sanjeevan Ghataore
Treasurer- Zwe Wai Yan Soe (nickname-William)
Social Secretary- Vanorld Vanderpuye
We have a Facebook group called ‘UoN Chess Society’ and we normally engage with our members by posting public Facebook posts, sending emails directly to our members and texting via Facebook Messenger group. We actively reply to your enquiries via Facebook Messenger so feel free to dm our committee members. Facebook posts are targeted for general communication, and email and Messenger group chat are designed especially for our society members. We normally use the latter to contact you about our internal chess tournaments and Nottinghamshire Chess League which we play against local chess clubs throughout the year.
What did we do last year?
In the 2019-20 Academic year, we hosted two internal blitz tournaments and we competed in Nottinghamshire Chess League. We had altogether 3 teams namely Team 1, 2 and 3 playing in Division 1,4 and 5 respectively. Due to Covid-19 global pandemic, our stopped hosting in-person chess matches since March and Nottinghamshire Chess league was also halted. On every Tuesday from 7pm to 10pm, we played Chess together in C14 Teaching and Learning Building in Autumn term, and A47 Trent Building in Spring term. Our former President Jonathan Finn also occasionally shared his tactics as teaching sessions last year.
What will we do this year?
Nottinghamshire Chess League
As mentioned above, we have some remaining games to be played from previous year and a new season is starting soon. Every member from our society will have a chance to represent one of our university teams and you will be allocated to one of the teams depending on your game engine/strength. However, a team consists of only 5 players and we are afraid that we cannot nominate every member to represent our uni teams every week since the caps are 15 as maximum. We guarantee that everyone will have a chance to play at least five matches throughout the year so don’t worry about it!
Internal Tournament (Lichess - Online)
We are very thrilled to announce our new semester-long tournament!!!
1. There will be two divisions, Premier League and Championship (of course we got this idea from English football). Every player who is willing to participate will be allocated into one of the leagues depending on your strength/engine. Based on this system, we believe every player will match up with an opponent who has equal strength resulting in more competitive matches.
2. Autumn tournament will start in October and finish in December whereas Spring tournament will start in February and end in April.
3. A win will be awarded 1 point, a draw for 0.5 point and a loss for o point.
4. If players have the same points in the end, the head to head result will be taken into consideration.
5. If they are even after above considerations, they will play a final match. However, all these rules are applicable to players who finish as top and bottom three in Premier League and top three ranked players from Championship.
5. At the end of Autumn tournament, the top three players from Championship will be promoted to Premier League and bottom three from Premier League will be relegated.
6. To support more equality in our society, top three players from both the Premier League and Championship will be awarded equally based on their ranks. It means that the winner of the league will get the highest award and the third ranked player will get the smallest award but both top three finalists from every league will get the equal awards so that even low-skilled players can win the league and get the same prize as high-skilled players.
What perks can you expect from being a member?
Our £5 membership includes following benefits.
1. Play internal tournament without any entrance fees
2. Your travelling costs for Nottinghamshire Chess League games will be compensated
3. You have access to our equipments (such as clock, chessboard, etc) and also can borrow chess strategies books to your home.
4. You can buy our merchandise with a member exclusive discounted price.
What else do you need to pay for?
You need to purchase English Chess Federation (ECF) membership if you want to represent our university team in Nottinghamshire Chess League. You can play three games as taster sessions and if you want to play more afterwards, you must buy ECF membership which will cost 18 quids for a year-long membership. You can purchase from this link https://www.englishchess.org.uk/
All of our clubs and societies are run by a committee.
A committee is a team of people that lead, organise and publicise a group within your Students’ Union.
It can be really rewarding as well as being a great way to gain experience and invaluable skills for your future career.